The death of a loved one is a life-changing event. At such times it’s natural to experience a sense of loss and bereavement. Such emotions can trigger intense feelings of grief; in some cases lead to depression. Whether you’re experiencing grief or depression, or both, there are several outlets to help with your healing.
If you’re unable to process grief without slipping into depression, we suggest seeking professional help. A grief group or mental health practitioner specializing in loss and bereavement can provide tremendous help. In some instances, treatment options could include therapy or medication.
Everyone mourns the loss of a friend or family member, but that doesn’t mean your life is over. Life will continue after a loved one’s passing. In time you’ll heal and move forward; hopefully, celebrate and honor your beloved’s life for years to come.
Here’s a useful list of national groups and organizations that offer grief, loss, and bereavement support to help you process feelings of grief.
- Dougy Center
- Grief Healing Discussion Groups
- Heal Grief
- Light Beyond
- National Alliance for Grieving Children
- New York Life Foundation
- Open to Hope
- Rainbows – support for children experiencing loss
Below are categorized lists of specialized support programs and groups depending upon you and your loved ones’ circumstances.
Passing due to Addiction
Passing of an Armed Services Member
- Camp Hometown Heroes – support for young children and teens
- T.A.P.S. (Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors)
- VA Bereavement Counseling
Passing of a Child or Grandchild
- Bereaved Parents of the USA
- COPE Foundation (Connecting Our Paths Eternally)
- MISS Foundation
- The Compassionate Friends
Passing of a Firefighter
Passing of a Law-Enforcement Member
- C.O.P.S. (Concerns of Police Survivors)
Passing of an LGBT Person
Passing of a Parent
Passing of a Sibling
- Grieving.com – loss of a sibling forum board
- Twinless Twins Support Group
- Webhealing.com – loss of a sibling forum board
Passing of a Spouse / Partner
- Beginning Experience
- Grieving.com – loss of a spouse / partner forum board
- National Widower’s Organization
- Widowed Parent
Passing due to Suicide
- American Association of Suicidology
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- HEARTBEAT – Survivors After Suicide
- S.A.V.E. (Suicide Awareness Voices of Education)
- Sibling Survivors of Suicide
- Survivors of Suicide
If you’re an individual or organization that can provide grief support, please contact us to join this growing list of care practitioners.
Disclaimer. HereToday is not a legal service. This content should not be taken as legal advice. Before drafting any legal document, please consult an attorney.