A legacy is how a person would like to be remembered by their family and friends. You are the main character of your life, so share your greatest hits for loved ones and generations to come.
Within the HereToday Legacy Vault you can safeguard and share your stories. Tell loved ones about your life experiences, travels, keepsakes, favorite recipes, photos, music and more. You can also share your personal values, traits, and behaviors that have motivated your life’s decisions and pathways.
Below is a list of 100 + questions your loved ones would like to know about you. You can upload a file to the Legacy Vault with your responses to the questions, or record your answers and upload an audio file. Get a FREE HereToday account and start sharing with your family today.
100 + Family History Questions
- What is your full name?
- Have you ever legally changed your name?
- Were you named after anyone, perhaps a great uncle or grandparent?
- Do you go by a nickname? If so, where did the name originate?
- What city, state, country were you born?
- Were you born in a hospital, home, or other location?
Parents and Family
- What is your mother’s full name, date of birth, and location of her birth?
- Mother’s maiden name?
- What is your father’s full name, date of birth, and location of his birth?
- What are your grandparents’ names, dates of births, and location of births?
- What did your parents do for a living?
- How, where, and when did your parents meet?
- Do you know what your grandparents did for a living?
- Where did your maternal and paternal grandparents live?
- Share some fond memories of your grandparents.
- Did you meet your great-grandparents? Can you share memories or experiences?
- Share a few stories about your mother while you were growing up.
- Recount a few stories about your father while you were growing up.
- What life lessons did your parents instill upon you?
- Share family stories that were passed down to you from your parents or grandparents.
- Tell us about holiday traditions that were passed down from previous generations.
- Do you have family keepsakes / heirlooms that were handed down to you?
- What recipes did your parents and family make that you still make today?
- Share your first childhood memory.
- Do you have siblings; if so, what’s your birth order?
- What are your siblings’ names? When and where were they born?
- Are you close to your siblings?
- Where did you grow up?
- Did you move a lot as a child? Why?
- Tell us about your childhood home.
- Did you share a room with a brother or sister?
- Did one, or both, of your parents cook?
- What kinds of food did your family eat when you were growing up?
- Did you have a favorite food as a child?
- What is your favorite meal now?
- Did you have pets when you were growing up? Did you have a favorite pet?
- When growing up did you have household chores?
- Did you earn an allowance?
- If you misbehaved, did your parents discipline you?
- Did you have a childhood hobby?
- Who was your childhood hero? Why?
- Describe your favorite toy or game from childhood.
- Did you have a best friend, or a close group of friends?
- What did you do for fun as a child?
- Did your family take vacations? Where did you go?
- Were birthdays celebrated in your family? Share a story about a favorite birthday.
- Did you grow up in a religious household?
- Did you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa or other holidays?
- How do you celebrate one of these holidays now?
- Did your family attend a place of worship?
- What values and beliefs did your parents teach you?
- What did you want to be when you grew up?
- In general, tell us about your life as a child.
- Did you travel to school, or were you homeschooled?
- Did you ride a bus, bike, or walk to get to school?
- Tell us about your experiences at school. Did you enjoy attending school?
- What was your favorite class at school? Did you have a favorite teacher?
- Tell us about your least favorite class at school. Why?
- Did you get into any trouble? Why?
- Tell us about your school friends.
- What was the name of your high school?
- Did you go to college? If so where, when, and what did you study?
- Did you pursue a life goal, or career path as a result of your education?
- What was your first job? Do you remember how old you were at the time?
- Did you buy anything special with your first paycheck?
- Are you currently employed or retired? What is your job?
- How did you get into your career?
- Tell us about your favorite job.
- Describe your least favorite job.
- Are you married or have a significant partner? If so, tell us about your relationship.
- How did you meet? When did you know your spouse was right for you?
- Tell us about your wedding. Describe the location, clothing, food, music, and more.
- Did you go on a honeymoon? Where?
- What is your spouse’s name?
- Where were they born? Where did they grow up? Do they have siblings?
- Tell us about your spouse. What is their personality? Where do they work? Hobbies?
- What do you love about your spouse?
- Did you rent or buy a home with your spouse?
- Can you share your tips to a successful marriage?
- Do you have any children?
- What are your children’s names, dates of birth, and where they were born?
- Are your children married and starting families?
- Tell us about your experiences being a parent.
- Where did your children grow up?
- Share a few special memories of your children’s early years.
- Did you have a favorite activity with your children?
- Discuss the most difficult part of raising your children. What was the most rewarding experience?
- Did your family have a favorite holiday or celebration?
Hobbies, Pastimes, and Friends
- Tell us about your hobbies.
- Do you listen to music? What music genres are your favorite?
- Do you read books or magazines? Do you have a favorite book or author?
- Do you have many close friends? What do you like to do together?
- Do you belong to any clubs or organizations?
- Have you traveled to many destinations in your life? Do you have a favorite place?
Influences, Accomplishments, and Words of Wisdom
- Tell us about major world events that happened in your lifetime.
- How did these events influence your life?
- Tell us about your accomplishments. What are you most proud of achieving?
- What are your greatest skills and talents?
- Share advice or words of wisdom you’d like passed to your grandchildren.
- How do you want loved ones to remember you?
If we missed something important on this list of questions, please add more stories your family will enjoy for generations to come.
Disclaimer. HereToday is not a legal service. This content should not be taken as legal advice. Before drafting any legal document, please consult an attorney.